Beauty

Beauty

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Skin Tip: Eczema


Millions of people all around the world suffer from eczema, which is a skin disorder that involves dry-itchy and scaly rashes that can form allover the body. Trust me, it's not a fun experience and I know, because I was one of those sufferers. Doctors would put me on steroid creams to suppress the inflammation, but quite often I felt it would worsen the condition and I had to sometimes upgrade to a stronger cream. And the problem with constant use of steroid creams is that over-time your skin starts to thin. Mine sure did!

After taking a few courses in nutrition, I realized that eczema could possibly be caused from my diet. Researching the web, I found that many eczema sufferers who cut out Gluten (Triticale, Wheat, Rye, Spelt, and Barley), Seafood, Preservatives, Chemical Dyes, Eggs, Dairy, Soy, and Alcohol; found that the eczema was either healed or the flare ups/itching was reduced. So after switching my diet to a more raw food lifestyle and cutting out all the junk, my skin is baby smooth and rarely do I get breakouts. I'll be honest, sometimes I will treat myself to something from the "No No List," but that doesn't happen often. My diet consist mainly of raw smoothies and juices that I make, and lots of wheat grass!
A very important thing to remember is to always moisturize. Moisture is very important for keeping the barrier function of the skin functioning properly. Hot showers can lead to loss of moisture and exacerbate the problem, so I... 99% of the time, take cold showers to keep the moisture locked in. After shower, I apply a moisturizer that is free of dyes, perfumes, synthetic chemicals, and preservatives. I'm not guaranteeing any of this will work for you, but it sure has worked for many eczema sufferers and myself!

Do your research and Good Luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment